Intel® RAID offers a broad portfolio of RAID solutions designed to address the storage-related challenges of the modern day datacenter as well as the small business. Intel® RAID RS3 Controllers, Intel® Integrated RAID RMS25/S3 Modules, Intel® RAID High Availability and Intel® RAID SSD Cache provide organizations with:
- Industry leading performance
- Advanced data protection
- Ease of use
- World-class training, support and partner programs
SSD-like Performance from Hard-Drive-based RAID using SSD Cache
Solid State technology allows for drastically higher throughput and IOPs than traditional spinning drives. However, an entire array of Solid State Drives is often cost prohibitive. To allow for the best of both worlds, Intel offers the following:
- Intel® RAID SSD Cache Controller RCS25ZB040: Includes up to 1TB of onboard Flash-based cache which it utilizes to accelerate Writes and also host frequently accessed data or “hot spots” in order to provide SSD array-like performance.
- SSD Cache 2.0 with FastPath* I/O Key: Allows for one or more SSD to be used as super-sized cache for the RAID module or unlocks a SSD-optimized code base for SSD RAID arrays (Order code: AXXRPFKSSD2).
Scalable Performance with SAS Expanders
Scalable Performance offers more than 8 SAS/SATA ports and delivers high performance associated with the throughput and IOPs possible with a high number of drives. To architect a scalable performance solution, it is recommended that a mainstream RAID product be combined with one of the following SAS expanders:
- Intel® RAID Expander RES2CV360/240: System board that allows four or eight ports to be expanded to 32 or 24 ports respectively. (The 360 model offers 36 dynamically configured “in” or “out” ports. The 240 model offers 24 total ports).
- Intel® RAID Expander RES2SV240: PCIe x1 card (for power) that allows four or eight ports to be expanded to 20 ports or 16 ports respectively.
Mainstream: RAID-On-Chip Intelligent Hardware RAID
Mainstream RAID offers advanced application acceleration technology delivered both add-in cards and modules with advanced firmware, drivers, utilities and management software. Mainstream RAID cards have powerful onboard processors with capabilities to perform parity generation (RAID levels 5/6/50/60) and RAID recovery operations, as well as data, memory and bus management. The following solutions are recommended for most customers desiring a mainstream solution:
- Intel® Integrated RAID Module RMS25CB080: Delivers 8 x 6Gb/s SAS ports with a high performance RAID-On-Chip processor, 1GB DDR3 memory and LSI MegaRAID technology. For Intel Server Boards with a Storage I/O Module Connector.
- Intel® Integrated RAID Module RMS25PB080: Adds a standard PCIe slot connector to the above module.
- Intel® RAID Controller RS3DC080: Delivers 8 x 12Gb/s SAS ports with a high performance SAS 3.0 capable processor, 1GB DDR3 memory and LSI MegaRAID technology. For Intel and qualified 3rd party server boards. Uses a standard PCIe slot.
SMB (Mid-Tier): I/O Controller-based with Advanced Firmware
Many servers targeted at Small and Medium Business (SMB) require advanced RAID and storage management, but do not require Mainstream (Intelligent Hardware RAID) performance. For these customers, Intel offers a unique blend of our Mainstream RAID software stack on less expensive I/O Processor-based hardware. The following product is recommended:
- Intel® RAID Controller RS3WC080: Delivers 8 x 12Gb/s SAS Ports with an I/O processor and MegaRAID-based firmware. Hardware RAID 0,1,10 and Hybrid RAID 5/50. Hybrid refers to RAID which is firmware based (not OS driver based like Software RAID), but uses system resources for parity calculations.
Entry-Level: I/O Controller-based Hardware RAID
Entry-level RAID offers hardware RAID 0/1/10/1E for budget oriented solutions where performance and mainstream features are not pertinent. Intel’s entry-level RAID modules are also excellent for use with JBODs when combined with accessory AXXRCVT8788. The following solutions are recommended for most customers desiring an entry-level solution:
- Intel® Integrated RAID Module RMS25JB080: Delivers 8 x 6Gb/s SAS ports for Intel® Server Boards and Systems with a Storage I/O Module Connector.
- Intel® RAID Controller RS3UC080: Delivers 8 x 12Gb/s ports with SAS 3.0 functionality for installation in a PCIe-slot.
Basic: Software RAID
Software RAID offers a subset of the features delivered in hardware RAID and is delivered as part of an operating system. Software RAID relies on system resources, processors, and memory. Software RAID is typically used for economical reasons or for mirroring an operating system. Intel sells 8 different software RAID keys including:
- Intel® RAID C600 Upgrade Key RKSAS8R5: Delivers up to 8 x 3Gb/s SAS ports for Intel® Server Boards and Intel® Embedded Server RAID Technology with RAID levels 0/1/5/10.
Common Accessories: Cache Backup, Premium Feature Upgrade and Cables
Intel offers accessories to help ensure the highest data protection and storage availability. These include:
- Maintenance Free Backup Units: to protect the dynamic cache.
- Premium Feature Keys: to allow for features such as Disk Encryption Management of SED drives and High Availability failover redundancy.
- Cable kits: to deliver high bend radius, high signal integrity and a perfect fit.
For a complete list of accessories, please see the Product Matrix (coming soon).